Friday 18 January 2019

Why I Can't do Ontario Politics Anymore


I woke up today livid about Ontario Politics.

It feels like I am living in a perpetual state of livid.

Today it was the Ford Government's announcement on (aka attack against) Post Secondary Students and Workers. The changes included:


  • The elimination of free tuition for low and middle-income students through OSAP
  • A higher threshold to qualify for grants from OSAP
  • The elimination of the 6 month interest-free grace period to repay your OSAP loans
  • The ability for a student to rescind their student union fees - an attack on student services and clubs
  • 4% funding cut to institutional funding
I do not believe in framing things as an "attack" because I know the solution to our political problems is not polarization; that we need to bring people together and create community. Words like "attack" and "fight" which I will use later, creates an "us and them", turn people into enemies. I do not believe in using these words, but I am using them now.

I physically, mentally, emotionally, cannot do what I believe in anymore because I can no longer not call what is happening in Ontario an attack on everything good that we have in this province: the muzzling of students' free speech under the guise of free speech, the undermining of protections for our water and health, the threats to quality, affordable healthcare, complete disregard for equal rights, sabotaging the teaching of young people about their bodies, peers, and consent in the modern world, the repeal of action against climate change to protect our future, the attempt to break down our society by setting up a snitch line, which is literally a tactic used by governments committing genocide.

Doug Ford, your job as Premier is to make sure the people of Ontario are happy and healthy, that they have their needs me, NOT to create a balanced budget.

Everything that has been happening has me feeling battered, broken, and helpless.

I can't do it anymore.

I can't live in a perpetual state of visceral disappointment, anger, and fear for the future, for my future.

I know that after the election I called on everyone to rally their local politicians, to write, call, email, tweet, protest, whatever you felt most comfortable with. I gave you action, I wanted to inspire, but I'm not that person anymore.

Because I tried. I went to a meet and greet with my local MPP. There, I was disrespected by PC campaign manager Joe Riese (Nobody had ever spoken to me so disrespectfully in my life). I was brushed off by the MPP for a neighbouring riding. Because I'm young. Because I am a girl (and I know because those two men were very courteous to the men in their late twenties and older who'd approached them).

And those encounters stuck with me. Every time I see my MPP's office (and its 2 minutes from my house) anxiety twists my stomach into knots.  Because how am I supposed to rally when sometimes all I can see is old men's eyes glazing over as I try to explain why these issues are important? How am I supposed to rally when I have experienced not being taken seriously?

Because I am young. Because I am a girl.

How am I supposed to rally when every time I try, I am reminded of the difficulties I will have to endure because our systems were not built for people like me?

How am I supposed to rally when they are doing so many hurtful, reckless things that I don't have time to breathe between the waves of grief?

So I am passing on the torch to you. 

People with more privilege, whether that's time, or money, an identity that makes you more likely to be taken seriously, anything that gives you the ability to speak out, even just a little bit.

I am calling on you to not simply allow this to happen. To fight, for Ontario, for me, for yourselves. Vote in the next election of course, but act now, too. I sent this message out as a rallying cry last time, this time, I am asking for help.

Regardless of party, your MPP is supposed to serve you, serve the province of Ontario. That is their job. It's time this government starts acting like it. 

So speak, the people of Ontario, I am challenging you to speak, for us, for me, because I am exhausted and I feel alone in this. I can't do this alone. So speak. Prove me wrong. Prove to me that you care about your province, about other people's lives, about my life, about your life. 

Make my dreams of "we can do better", our dreams. Make them a reality. Help build an Ontario that is somewhere we all can live, and learn, and thrive.






No comments:

Post a Comment